We are looking for enthusiastic Second Nature volunteers to help out at our National Tree Day event on Sunday 31 July.
National Tree Day is Australia's biggest community tree planting and nature-care event. Thousands of community groups, sporting clubs, faith groups and families across Australia make a difference to their community by connecting with each other and nature, beautifying neighbourhoods and inspiring positive environmental change.
Each year Waverley Council holds a community event to plant native seedlings (with free yoga too!) in one of our reserves.
When: Sunday 31 July 2016, from 8am-1pm
Where: Diamond Bay Reserve, Craig Ave, Vaucluse NSW 2030
What’s on at the event?
- A tree-mendous yoga class overlooking Diamond Bay for kids and adults from 9am
- Planting fun and tips to make sure the seedlings you plant flourish, from 10am
- Sausage and veggie sausage sizzle to celebrate all your hard work, from 12pm
- Kid-friendly habitat game
We are looking for volunteers who may be available from 8am-12noon (part of this time or all). You will be helping local’s plant native seedlings to help increase the habitat and enhance the health of Diamond Bay reserve.
Duties will be:
- Talking to participants about the best way to plant the seedlings
- Helping children plant seedlings
- Helping with a kids habitat game
- Helping sign people in to the event
You will gain:
- Volunteers will be briefed on how to plant and care for the seedlings
- You will be given an overview of the purpose and benefits of the planting
- You will get experience of working with community at this fun event
- You will gain a knowledge of local biodiversity issues
- Gloves and tools will be provided
Who is a suitable volunteer for this event?
- Volunteers should be 15 years or older
- Volunteers need to be able to speak clear English
- Volunteers need to be comfortable talking with people of different nationalities and ages
- Volunteers need to be comfortable bending and crouching while they are planting
- Volunteers will need to complete the Waverley Council volunteer registration and induction process.
If not volunteering we'd love you to come along anyway - Register online.