Save hundreds of dollars off your home electricity bills (and help save the planet) with these 10 simple tips.
1. Switch off lights in rooms when not being used - you can save $120 a year!
2. Replace your lights with energy efficient compact fluorescent light globes or LEDs. These are available at hardware stores, supermarkets and specialty eco-product stores.
3. Switch appliances off at the wall to save standby power (up to 11% of an average electricity bill).
4. Only use a clothes dryer if necessary – Dryers are big energy consumers, so use the clothesline if you have one.
5. Wash your clothes in cold water - It's just as good as a warm wash and you can save about $35 each year off your power bill.
6. Get rid of your second fridge – for cash! It’s easy through the Fridge Buyback program.
7. Don't overheat. Keep rooms at a comfortable 18-21°C in winter. Every 1 degree increase in temperature can increase the heating component of your power bill by up to 10 per cent.
8. Shade your windows to keep cool - About half of unwanted heat comes through exposed windows.
9. Choose energy efficient electrical and whitegood appliances - use the Energy Rating tool.
10. Select an energy efficient hot water such as solar hot water, gas or heat pump. Water heating can account for up to 1/3 of your household energy bill.